Tag Archives: led strip

New tiny parts

In the never ending quest to find a Voltage level shifter, to drive addressable LEDs, I found myself looking at these http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74lvc2t45.pdf . These ICs can do 3.3V to 5V translation for 2 pins at a whooping 420Mbit and they cost $80c (USD) . So I ordered 5 from TI….

20160502_141742-1.jpg

Yep… that’s damn small. Not sure how I’m going to use those… I have no Surface Mount skills or equipment..Should have read the damn data sheet properly. Anyway, I’m glad there are 5, I will try my damn best to solder those pins to some larger pins and if i break any ill have a few extra to play with. If they work, ill be able to eliminate the Driver Pixel that i use in most of my application, most importantly ill be able to properly test higher data rates for the APA102 and the SK9822 pixel.

Next on the list are these $4 single cell Power Banks:

20160429_134048-1.jpg

These use a single 18650 to produce 5V at a maximum of 1A… With one more nice feature. They don’t have a power button. They activate simply when a load is detected. I’m using this as a test bed, and in a very non recommended way, I’m sure. I have the Output ports of all 4 into 1 Female USB port and was successfully able to power one of my latest creations:

 

Lots of hexagons

I have been hard at work on this new piece, for which i have not yet come up with a name..

It is constructed with 20 Hexagonal pieces. Each laser cut out of clear perspex. Behind each is a grid of APA102 LEDs all controlled by an ESP8266

Lets cover a car in LEDs & GSPF 2016

A friend asked me a while back…

“what would it take to cover an entire car in these LED pixels?”

He even went so far as to give me a die cast model of a Ford Mustang GT to play with

20160323_224611-1.jpg

So I did

Now this is just a prototype for a large scale version. Covering a life sized car with LED pixels would be an epic effort I would love to undertake, but it would require some hefty funding. Not to mention someone donating a car to me… The car above used WS2812b pixels. I had a bunch of them lying around from another prototype that I had dismantled. No sense in binning these pixels if they can be reused.

The Gertrude Street Projection Festival is happening again!!! This year, I have decided to enter. Not with a car covered in LEDs, however. But with the new WOW Suit! Id love to put it on a mannequin and have it displayed inside a shop window. I have some ideas for new animation sequences that would cater well for a shop front

White Night 2016 – The Wow Suit

White Night 2016 in Melbourne may not have been as huge as in previous years, but I sure had a blast. I walked around the Melbourne CBD and surrounds for about 7 hours and got my photo taken by A LOT of people! Everyone I ran into seemed to enjoy themselves and really liked the Wow Suit. Here are a few pics from the evening

I had a friend shoot some really good video of the suit, but until I get my hands on it, here is some from my Instagram:

Notice how the Official White Night Instagram account tells me to apply for an art grant next year, even though they sent me a Generic “NO THANKYOU” when I applied for this years event.

One more:

The Wow Suit @whitenightmelb !! #whitenightmelb2016 #whitenight #whitenightmelbourne #whitenightmelb

A video posted by Elec Dash Tron Dot Org (@wow_elec_tron) on

Something new, something BIG!

Work has begun on a marvelous LED Installation for the Maitreya Festival. The project, titled “Space Theatre” will comprise of a huge “planet vs black hole ” diorama !

20160128_120728.jpg

Some goodies for the installation above! We are using over 2000 APA102 Pixels, driven by a Raspberry Pi A+. This installation will be built on the backbones of the same tech used int the Wow Suit.

piesap

Here they are fully built and tested! Now onto building the LED layout map…

LED Helmet V1a – Project update

I am still waiting on the Mega modules, ordered last week. Not sure what the postage hold up is. In the meantime, I managed to get the Galileo Gen1 to work!! So many bugs and wrong turns on this device.

●The firmware update instructions are very unclear…the device must have NO sd card inserted and then booted up with the usb port plugged in. It then comes up as a serial.port for the firmware update to work.

●To my surprise, i ran the latest IOT image, the same one used on the Gen2 board. It worked…with bugs..

●SPI functionality via MRAA is non existent on the Gen1. Even with the lastest 7.3 mraa moduke. The clock signal on my scope was garbage! Very disapointing

●SPI via arduino sketches is also flaky, at a setting of 8mhz i was only able to get around 2-3mhz clock before it skewed into noise

On a whim i ended up trying the pi-spi nodejs module and it worked at 3mhz!!! But when i rebooted i got noise on the spi pins…hours later i realised that if I ran an arduino sketch that uses spi before hand, spi was usable again…so i wrote an arduino sketch that initialised the spi and did nothing else…at boot time the sketch starts and about 10 seconds later the xdk daemon launches the main.js script…and bam!!!