In the never ending quest to find a Voltage level shifter, to drive addressable LEDs, I found myself looking at these http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74lvc2t45.pdf . These ICs can do 3.3V to 5V translation for 2 pins at a whooping 420Mbit and they cost $80c (USD) . So I ordered 5 from TI….
Yep… that’s damn small. Not sure how I’m going to use those… I have no Surface Mount skills or equipment..Should have read the damn data sheet properly. Anyway, I’m glad there are 5, I will try my damn best to solder those pins to some larger pins and if i break any ill have a few extra to play with. If they work, ill be able to eliminate the Driver Pixel that i use in most of my application, most importantly ill be able to properly test higher data rates for the APA102 and the SK9822 pixel.
Next on the list are these $4 single cell Power Banks:
These use a single 18650 to produce 5V at a maximum of 1A… With one more nice feature. They don’t have a power button. They activate simply when a load is detected. I’m using this as a test bed, and in a very non recommended way, I’m sure. I have the Output ports of all 4 into 1 Female USB port and was successfully able to power one of my latest creations:
White Night 2016 in Melbourne may not have been as huge as in previous years, but I sure had a blast. I walked around the Melbourne CBD and surrounds for about 7 hours and got my photo taken by A LOT of people! Everyone I ran into seemed to enjoy themselves and really liked the Wow Suit. Here are a few pics from the evening
I had a friend shoot some really good video of the suit, but until I get my hands on it, here is some from my Instagram:
Notice how the Official White Night Instagram account tells me to apply for an art grant next year, even though they sent me a Generic “NO THANKYOU” when I applied for this years event.
This year, I was chosen to work with a talented costume designer Sabrina Evans, to create 10 LED covered suits for MOFO 2016 the summer arts festival held by MONA in Hobart Tasmania. The results were amazing
One of the suits was used in an awesome arty yoga session, also held at MONA, called Electric Light Yoga. Above is one the shots. Here is the suit from behind…
Noodles of cabling! The rest of the suits were used by actors at the Faux Mo nightclub event on Saturday. They roamed around the huge art filled space, created by Jamin Kluss for MOFO. The make shift nightclub was built inside 12 Murray Street, Hobart. The ex government building is to be demolished shortly and was well utilized.
But nothing is without complications. The box containing the battery modules for all the suits was shipped down to Hobart using Fastaway couriers(don’t use them). They advised a 3 day shipping schedule, its been 6 days and the box hasn’t arrived yet. I had to repurchase all the battery modules in Hobart at an exorbitant price
Here they are charging the night before the main event, at our Airbnb that we rented in Battery Point, Hobart(no pun intended).
Check out my Instagram for some short Videos of all the Shenanigans
I have been commissioned to create 10 LED suits for Faux Mo as part of MOFO the Summer Arts festival in Hobart, Tasmania. The webbing of the suits was built by Sabrina Evans, an awesome costume designer form Hobart. The webbing is made of nylon and clips on to the person.
Not yet sure what will be done with all 10 suits, but here are a few demo shots of them in action on my model:
I am still waiting on the Mega modules, ordered last week. Not sure what the postage hold up is. In the meantime, I managed to get the Galileo Gen1 to work!! So many bugs and wrong turns on this device.
●The firmware update instructions are very unclear…the device must have NO sd card inserted and then booted up with the usb port plugged in. It then comes up as a serial.port for the firmware update to work.
●To my surprise, i ran the latest IOT image, the same one used on the Gen2 board. It worked…with bugs..
●SPI functionality via MRAA is non existent on the Gen1. Even with the lastest 7.3 mraa moduke. The clock signal on my scope was garbage! Very disapointing
●SPI via arduino sketches is also flaky, at a setting of 8mhz i was only able to get around 2-3mhz clock before it skewed into noise
On a whim i ended up trying the pi-spi nodejs module and it worked at 3mhz!!! But when i rebooted i got noise on the spi pins…hours later i realised that if I ran an arduino sketch that uses spi before hand, spi was usable again…so i wrote an arduino sketch that initialised the spi and did nothing else…at boot time the sketch starts and about 10 seconds later the xdk daemon launches the main.js script…and bam!!!