Whats new this week

Have had some good results with a few pieces of tech this week. Some troubleshooting, some testing, some bad results, some good.

Intel Galileo Gen 1 – Working with latest IOT Image

I picked up my Galileo Gen 1 again and got it working with the latest IOT image from Intel. This is a good backup for the Gen 2 board in case the Wow Suit controller(gen 2) blows up. One thing that irritates me is the need for initializing the SPI device via an Arduino app 1st.. Another is that the SPI device generates a very dirty signal past 3Mhz. The Gen 2 wasn’t that much better, but i had a more viable signal at 4.5Mhz..

Raspberry Pi A+ – Bricked :(

My RPi A+ is bricked….will have to purchase a new one….all that time spent testing its SPI functionality…Something happened on one of my last tests that must have damaged the SPI device. Now all I’m getting is a 50mv clock. The A+ was trialed as a replacement for the Intel boards for future projects, and the next generation Wow Suit

Intel Edison SPI Bug Confirmed by Intel

I have successfully demonstrated a bug in the Edison device tat has been driving me crazy since i received it. Transferring data at high speeds, above 1mhz, maybe even slower, and with large packet sizes of 120bytes or larger causes the kernel to drop the process as a zombie. Intel has confirmed this issue. They tested some of my code on their devices, and i tested their code on mine. This is both good and bad news. Good news, in that Intel will hopefully release a software fix..Bad news in that the Edison is dead weight until then.

Logic Level Shifters – So much wasted time

I have been testing several LLS devices to convert 1.8v TTL to 5V TTL to drive LED Strips using the Edison and RPi. They all suck! After days of crawling through forum posts, i found an interesting idea. Why not use the LED strip as a logic level booster! The APA102 LED pixels, have a HIGH TTL value of 3.5v when driven at 5V! which means i can use one pixel to drive the rest with an RPi without issue! With the Edison however there is a little bit more trickery.

llsapa102This is the general concept. I am trying to cut down on components as well, and will see if i can drive this LED module with the +4V battery charge signal on the Edison Mini Breakout Board instead of an external 3.3v source.

LED Helmet V2

Depending on the response I get this weekend to the V1, I plan on making another version of the LED Helmet. This is the shape and look I am aiming for:

rosemhelmethead

i am going to try a combination of methods to get this look and shape. One suggestion was to use Plastimake a thermal polymer. Another was to use Felt or a Thermal Felt like Fosshape. And last but not leas, paper mache, which is what i used for the 1st version.