LED Helmet V1a – Project update

I am still waiting on the Mega modules, ordered last week. Not sure what the postage hold up is. In the meantime, I managed to get the Galileo Gen1 to work!! So many bugs and wrong turns on this device.

●The firmware update instructions are very unclear…the device must have NO sd card inserted and then booted up with the usb port plugged in. It then comes up as a serial.port for the firmware update to work.

●To my surprise, i ran the latest IOT image, the same one used on the Gen2 board. It worked…with bugs..

●SPI functionality via MRAA is non existent on the Gen1. Even with the lastest 7.3 mraa moduke. The clock signal on my scope was garbage! Very disapointing

●SPI via arduino sketches is also flaky, at a setting of 8mhz i was only able to get around 2-3mhz clock before it skewed into noise

On a whim i ended up trying the pi-spi nodejs module and it worked at 3mhz!!! But when i rebooted i got noise on the spi pins…hours later i realised that if I ran an arduino sketch that uses spi before hand, spi was usable again…so i wrote an arduino sketch that initialised the spi and did nothing else…at boot time the sketch starts and about 10 seconds later the xdk daemon launches the main.js script…and bam!!!