Wow Suit V 3 – Production Update

I have used up the last of my APA102 strips from my previous order to make the 1st prototype panel for the 3rd Iteration of the Wow Suit.

wpid-20151029_184110-1.jpg

This is the panel for the bottom right leg. With this prototype i have 17 strips x 15 Pixels Per Strip totaling at 255 LEDs for one panel. The previous iteration of the Wow Suit had 10 x 16 pixel strips, which were 160 Pixels per block).

wpid-20151029_184345-1.jpg

I’m trying to get them as tightly packed as possible. The base block is a piece of felt secured to a thin piece of plastic sheet. Its both rigid and flexible enough to adhere to the cat suit Ill be putting this on to.

wpid-20151029_184402-1.jpg

I have also added a pixel inside the RPI casing as the driver Pixel. This pixel is directly connected to the SPI bus on the RPI and is driven by the RPI’s 3.3v Power Supply. Its the best way to get a reliable signal at very high SPI speeds. I’m essentially using the pixel as a voltage level converter. When driving LEDs, the software ignores pixel 0 and sends a blank pixel to it each render.